[mapserver-dev] Call for vote on RFC 40

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed May 14 16:05:41 EDT 2008

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> thomas bonfort wrote:
>> hi all,
>> I've let time slip since first proposing this, so I'd like to call for
>> vote on rfc40 which concerns text alignment and line breaking to have
>> this in for 5.2
>>
>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-40/
>>

> Thomas,
>
> I have got a few suggestions of labelling improvements from users and
> before casting my vote I'd like to see how they relate (or not) to this
> RFC. I'll try to do that and get back to you all ASAP.

Thomas,

Sorry for taking so long. I had a look at the notes I had related to
those labelling enhancement suggestions (a long list), and the only one
that's directly related to what you propose is already mostly addressed
by your RFC.

The only addition that your RFC doesn't cover and that would be nice to
have is the ability to specify multiple WRAP characters. For instance,
in English and French, strings can typically be wrapped on spaces and
words can be wrapped on hyphens ('-'), so we'd need tha ability to
specify both (and possibly more).

The WRAP parameter is currently a single char. Could we turn it into a
string, and if it contains multiple chars then all of them are used?
Would that be too messy?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/