[mapserver-dev] Documentation Updates

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:57:33 EST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Howard Butler wrote:
>> Here's some output that's basically a first run to give you an idea
>> where things are heading:
>> http://iowa.hobu.biz/msdocs/build/html/references/index.html
>
> I really like it!
>
> I presume we'd have a script that runs daily on the server to update
> the live docs from SVN?

Yes, similar to GDAL and Doxygen.  We could even do branching (not
that GDAL does) ;)

> The nice thing with this approach is that the doc generation script
> can be in SVN too and I can easily update and preview changes
> locally just by rerunning the script on my machine. The end result
> is a tree of static HTML files, correct? So one can also zip up all
> the files and have a copy of the docs to browse offline, right? I
> luv it!  :)

Yes.  What was old is new :)  The output is indeed static HTML (or PDF
from LaTeX or Windows HTMLHelp).  A challenge yet to be addressed is
how to integrate this into Trac (if we should) and how far to do so if
we decide to.  I still like OpenLayers' approach in this regard.

> just by rerunning the script on my machine.

actually, it's 'make', but it runs Sphinx.