[mapserver-dev] 5.6 Release Schedule & Release Manager

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Aug 20 11:50:22 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Thanks for bringing this up.

Unless someone has something important they need to get in 5.6 (in which
case they should speak up now), I woudl support your suggestion of a
feature freeze and first beta mid-September.

I'm happy to take the release manager role for this one unless someone
else wants to do it.

Alan is almost done with the XML mapfile schema and XSLT (for the
conversion from XML to regular mapfile format). He is in the process of
testing it with Norm and then we'll make something available to
everyone, but anyway that does not involve any changes in the code so
that has no impact on the feature freeze.

I'll try to review and update the release plan with the stuff that I
aware of in the next few days.

Daniel

Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi all: I know folks are busy but it seems like we need to get organized around another release. Starting
> beta releases, at least 1 anyway, ahead of the conference seems doable to me. That points to a feature
> freeze in mid-Sept. How would folks feel about that? I don't have a good feel for what's still to be added.
>
> My big change, the single pass stuff (RFC 52), has the guts committed but the driver changes for Oracle
> and PostGIS aren't complete yet and I still need to work on query serialization. What are folks planning?
> There were discussions at the sprint about a mapfile schema and transformation (MapGears), object
> references (I think Schuyler was leading), Tamas talked about mapfile serialization to a string, there
> are TK/TCL mapscript changes, others????
>
> I've created a 5.6 release plan at:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/56ReleasePlan
>
> Please feel free to add to it.
>
> A 5.6 milestone also exists in trac so a trip through your tickets will be warranted to see what needs to
> be put off until 6.0.
>
> I've done the release manager bit for the last two and would be quite happy to see someone else lead
> this one. Any volunteers? Perhaps an IRC meeting is in order.
>
> Steve

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/