[mapserver-dev] 5.6.0 release announcement

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Dec 10 09:04:07 EST 2009

Hi,

 I am also for tagging what we have now as 5.6.0.

I still wish that we had some way of also showing the version in
trunk/doc somewhere on the site (even if it is not the main
documentation entry). The docs as the source code are constantly updated
and I find that waiting for a release to get the up to date version of
the current state is sometimes not practical for users. I am not sure
how difficult it is, but wanted to rise again this issue.

regards,

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Related to the release, is the decision of how to handle the docs for
> the 5.6.0 release.  For example: Should the trunk/docs be tagged as
> 5.6.0 now and published live?  And: what should be mentioned in the
> release announcement?
>
> I discussed this a bit with Daniel offline, but below were my thoughts
> - and obviously we must all agree on this in the PSC:
>
> ***
>
> I don't think any more progress at all was made on translating the
> pages into German or other languages.  That said, I believe we can't
> avoid this issue any more, so we should tag the existing trunk/docs as
> 5.6.0 and publish it to the web.  My thinking is that once it is
> visible we may attract some contributors for translation.
>
> Regarding the release announcement, here are a couple of options:
>
> A. (trunk/docs tagged as 5.6.0)
>
> "The MapServer documentation team is pleased to announce that
> structure is in place now to support translation of documents.  Some
> of the pages are now translated into German, and can be accessed by
> clicking on the German map icon in the right panel.  The documentation
> team asks that those volunteers interested in translating documents
> (in German or other languages) to please send a message to the
> mapserver-dev email list."
>
> B. (trunk/docs not tagged as 5.6.0)
>
> "The MapServer documentation team is continuing to update and maintain
> documents.  One of the things that the team has been working on is a
> structure for translated documents.  The structure is now in place in
> the development version of the site, but volunteers are needed to
> translate pages into other languages.  The documentation team asks
> that those volunteers interested in translating documents to please
> send a message to the mapserver-dev email list."
>

> -jeff

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca