[mapserver-dev] layer->vtable->GetFeatureIDColumn

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:47:48 EST 2009

All,

Bart was asking in a bug [1] if the SDE driver could automatically set
the ows_featureid METADATA record because it is already known by the
driver.  After thinking about it a bit, I wonder if we shouldn't add
another virtual method to the layer to attempt to query the column
name from the driver.  I know that SDE, OGR (depending on the driver),
Oracle, and maybe some cases of PostGIS should be able to support
describing which column name represents the FID.  I also don't know
how it would play with respect to us doing work on the upcoming single-
pass querying stuff, but I thought I should ask to see if there is
general support for such an idea.

- If there's support, does this change warrant an RFC?
- I think this would make a nice Toronto sprint item, and I would
implement it there for the post-5.4 release.

Howard

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2859