[mapserver-dev] WMS 1.3.0 and styles

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jul 31 13:31:46 EDT 2009

Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Sueur wrote:
> Hi devs,
>

> After having tested MapServer 5.4.2 compliance with WMS 1.3.0, there is
> still a point which is not clear to me. It's about STYLES.
> As I understood WMS 1.3.0 specs, SLD has disappeared from WMS 1.3.0 to
> give place to named styles.

  yes the SLD spec has been deprecated and replaced by two specifications:
    - Styled Layer Descriptor profile of the Web Map Service
    - Symbology Encoding Implementation Specification

 From the user point of vue, It does not change much since all previous
operations are maintained, It is mostly a re-organization on how the
diffrent specifications interact together.

> I've read many messages and docs, but I still can't find a proper
> answer. So, here is the global question : is the mapfile able to
> reference several named styles, with associated SLDs or inline classes ?
> Can mapserver answer a getMap request using a named style using the
> proper one ?

Several named styles with inline class definitions can be
advertised/used with mapserver. Please refer to the following docs:
http://mapserver.org/ogc/sld.html#named-styles-support
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-39.html

There is no support of inline SLD in a map file.

regards,

> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>
> Guillaume Sueur

Assefa Yewondwossen