[mapserver-dev] Docs and Releases...

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:56:02 EDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Steve Lime wrote:

> Hi all: I've got 5.4.1 packaged just wondering how to handle the docs.
>
>  1) Do we want to tag a copy of the docs for all releases or just
> for branches? For example, 5.4.1 contains just bug fixes, no feature
> additions.

My opinion would be for just branches.

>  2) What's the procedure for updating the website? Should I hit the
> download and announcement pages for all languages or will language
> maintainers handle that?

Currently, the website is not using the multilingual setup that trunk
has, so you should only have to update the download page in the 5.4
branch of the docs.  One thing I really dislike about our setup is RFC
editing.  I saw you backporting RFC edits yesterday to both trunk and
the 5.4 branch to ensure that the rendered output made the website.  I
like having the RFCs as part of the docs because they are in many ways
primary documentation for a lot of things, and the internal
referencing of them is quite useful.  Our workflow of them isn't so
good though.  Anyone have any ideas?

Lars,

Do you happen to know if it would be possible for us to do includes
that were language agnostic?  For example, we'd want the downloads
page to be the same across all of the languages no matter what.