[mapserver-dev] Toronto sprint hopes and dreams

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Mar 5 23:20:04 EST 2009

I don't like the idea of format specific (only PDF will care about margins) arguments. Why not extend the outputFormatObj (perhaps with a layoutObj)?

>>> Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> 03/05/09 9:48 AM >>>
Thomas (and other render-interested),

 Regarding the finalizing of the vtable api, I'd like to make some additions to the createImage definition:

  Current:
    imageObj* (*createImage)(int map_width, int map_height, outputFormatObj *format, colorObj* bg);

  Proposed:
    imageObj* (*createImage)(double page_width,    double page_height,
                             double margin_bottom, double margin_left,
                             int map_width, int map_height, outputFormatObj *format, colorObj* bg);

to support the placement of graphics on a page/canvas for high-quality output.  A better solution might be to pass a pointer to a structure (layoutObj?) containing the new four values.

    And other food for thought (I saw Norman Vine's comment on the Mapserver IRC channel last night saying that 'renderers' should be like device drivers).  If the renderers are to be invoked by vtable entries, what would it take to make them dynamically loaded modules at run-time?

Thanks!
Brent Fraser