[mapserver-dev] Labeling enhancements

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed May 27 23:46:26 EDT 2009

Steve Lime wrote:
> What about just using MINDISTANCE parameter and simply making a
> "REPEAT YES|NO" parameter? Depending on how you implemented (one
> label with multiple label points vs. multiple labels) you'd have to deal
> with that parameter anyway. REPEAT would trigger multiple labels with
> MINDISTANCE defining the distance between them on the line but also
> as the crow flies. Perhaps too simple.

I thought of that too, but if we're adding a keyword anyway, I figured
we might as well use it to provide the flexibility of using a repeat
interval different from MINDISTANCE. In tuning the look of their maps,
users may want to play with repeat distance larger than mindistance and
vice-versa... I'm not convinced that there is a single way to achieve
the best results, so I thought it may be best to let the mapfile writers
decide which values they want for the repeat interval and for mindistance.

With respect to implementation, we'd do it by feeding multiple
independent labels into the cache, so they are all treated independently
by the feature cache.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/