[mapserver-dev] spatial restriction for queries

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:38:36 EDT 2009

Martin,

I think you should flash out further information about your objectives
there are a couple of things not obvious for me with this proposal;

1. I'm not sure where are the user identities stored when restricting
their access to regions. It seems like the mapfile would contain
constant restrictions independent from the users. How the users are
assigned to regions?

2. If we are thinking about static mapfiles (different mapfile for
each user) it seems like this problem is running out of the scope of
mapserver. You may pre-define those mapfiles by setting up different
spatial filters for each regions. The upper level application (ie. a
WEB application) would identify the user any refer to different
mapfiles accordingly.

3. It looks like you'd implement to render only a subset of the
features per-layer within a spatial query. How this option is
different as what the QUERYMAP setting with STYLE=selected would
normally provide? (http://mapserver.org/mapfile/querymap.html) the
query maps could be drawn by the cgi mapserver or by using a custom
script (mapscript) within your application.

Best regards,

Tamas