[mapserver-dev] MapServer project status report at FOSS4G

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Tue Oct 20 03:31:11 EDT 2009

Daniel Morissette schrieb:
> Hi Devs, PSC,
>
> We are going to give a "MapServer Project Status" presentation at FOSS4G
> on Friday morning. I still need to complete a few slides, but I'd invite
> you to review the current version in the next day or so, and let me know
> if any important point is missing. Let's keep in mind that we don't want
> to go into too much detail since we want to keep some time for
> interaction with the users.

At the INTERGEO [1] in Karlsruhe/Germany I hold an presentation of the
same topic. Even if I cant answer questions at such an deep detail
level, I have a few points to share. Maybe its of some help:

verion 5.4.
first beta: 18.02.2009
final version: 22.04.2009

new in 5.4
-WMS 1.3.0 (SLD 1.1.0, pass basic query test of OGC CITE testsuite,
ordering of axis)
-Styling (SIZE, WIDTH not limited to integer anymore)
-MIN-/MAXSCALEDENOM (deprecating MIN-/MAXSCALE)
-OUTLINEWIDTH with line layer (independent of scale and extent)
-GEOMTRANSFORM (bbox, start/end, vertices and centroid in trunk)
(buffer, labelpoint, convexhull,simplify on todo list)
-better labeling with wrap/maxlen
-security updates

new in 5.6
-better curve labeling
-labeling of graticule on border

other things are already covered in your slides.

You can find my presentation at [2] but its in german.

I had some feedback where questions where asked about:
- labels with gradient color (#1305)
- graticule enhancements
- data formats MapServer can read
- performance of MapServer
- XML-Mapfile

Best wishes and good luck with your presentation

Lars

[1] http://www.intergeo.de/en/englisch/index.php
[2]
http://www.lingner.eu/mydownloads/discosm/MapServer_Intergeo_2009_OO.pdf