[mapserver-dev] mapserver performance windows/linux

JUDD.CHRISTOPHER JUDD.CHRISTOPHER at flsenate.gov
Tue Sep 15 12:04:59 EDT 2009

We have migrated our PHP Mapscript application from Windows to Linux.
Everything appeared to be working well until we starting drawing maps
that did quite a bit of label rendering.  We found linux to be over
twice as slow as Windows XP (running MS4W 2.3.1) on the same hardware
when drawing labels.  If I turn the labeling off, the map performance
exceeds that of windows.  I am using the same TrueType fonts on both
systems.

I have tried a number of different debian based distributions including:
Debian Lenny, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Server with different versions of PHP
Mapscript including 5.0.3, 5.2 and 5.4.  All exhibited the same results.

Has anyone ran into this problem?  Is there something significantly
different between the way Windows and Linux process fonts that could
explain this?

Thanks,

Chris