[mapserver-dev] MapServer 5.6.0-beta1 today...

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 24 14:10:51 EDT 2009

Steve Lime wrote:
> One more point. The single pass stuff will require a change in MapScript scripts to use
> the resultsGetShape() method for a layer rather than getShape(), at least for PostGIS
> and Oracle (the only two drivers to implement that method). How should we handle
> migration information?

For 5.0 we had prepared a MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT file that came with the
source. It's still there in trunk:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT

We could use the same approach for this release and document migration
issues in there. The only question is do we start fresh (i.e. flush all
existing content), or add a new "MapServer 5.4 to 5.6 Migration Guide"
section at the top and leave the current 4.10->5.0 section at the end of
the file?

Personally I'd be tempted to keep the 4.10->5.0 stuff at the end of the
file so that someone migrating from 4.10 to 5.6 has all the info in one
file, but I can see why others may prefer to start fresh.

For now I'll just add to the file, and we can always flush the old stuff
later if that's what everybody wants.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/