[mapserver-dev] Tilecache WMS-C patch for 5.6.5

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Aug 9 11:23:13 EDT 2010

Hi Assefa,

I could not find a bug for this feature, did you ever open one? I will
if you would like. I think it would be a good place to collect patches,
comments and what nots. For example I have patches for 5.4.2, 5.6.1,
5.6.4, and now 5.6.5.

To use this patch, get a clean copy of mapserver-5.6.5, apply tha patch
to it, run autoconf, ./doit-mapserver-svn is my configure script, make
it as normal.

I have compiled and linked the above on linux, but have not had time to
do any testing yet, but the changes between 5.6.4 and 5.6.5 do not
really impact the tilecache code. I made changes to the windows build
files, but have no way to test them here.

Next I am going to look into adding support for VirtualEarth/Bing
quadtree URLs. I think the tasks related to this are:

1. how to select which tile scheme? I'm thinking it should be defined in
the tilecache.cfg file but could be defined in the mapfile like
map->web->metadata->tilescheme.

2. tools to read, write, validate quadtree URI and map them to tiles and
metatiles

3. algorithm mapping tile to a directory structure. My plan here is to
define MAX_FILES_PER_DIR=1024 or something like that and then have tiles
cached into directories so we have some control over the number of
directories and the number of files in a directory because these all
have performance implications.

I would appreciate any ideas, thoughts, collaboration you might be able
to offer.

Thanks,
   -Steve W