[mapserver-dev] Tilecache WMS-C patch for 5.6.5

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Aug 9 21:10:04 EDT 2010

On 09/08/2010 11:23 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi Assefa,
>
> I could not find a bug for this feature, did you ever open one? I will
> if you would like. I think it would be a good place to collect
> patches, comments and what nots. For example I have patches for 5.4.2,
> 5.6.1, 5.6.4, and now 5.6.5.
>
> To use this patch, get a clean copy of mapserver-5.6.5, apply tha
> patch to it, run autoconf, ./doit-mapserver-svn is my configure
> script, make it as normal.
>
> I have compiled and linked the above on linux, but have not had time
> to do any testing yet, but the changes between 5.6.4 and 5.6.5 do not
> really impact the tilecache code. I made changes to the windows build
> files, but have no way to test them here.

  No there is no bug currently on it. Yes please add a bug on it.

> Next I am going to look into adding support for VirtualEarth/Bing
> quadtree URLs. I think the tasks related to this are:
>
> 1. how to select which tile scheme? I'm thinking it should be defined
> in the tilecache.cfg file but could be defined in the mapfile like
> map->web->metadata->tilescheme.
>
> 2. tools to read, write, validate quadtree URI and map them to tiles
> and metatiles
>
> 3. algorithm mapping tile to a directory structure. My plan here is to
> define MAX_FILES_PER_DIR=1024 or something like that and then have
> tiles cached into directories so we have some control over the number
> of directories and the number of files in a directory because these
> all have performance implications.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas, thoughts, collaboration you might be
> able to offer.

  I have not looked into details on the VirtualEarth/Bing quadtree, but
one question that comes in mind is there for you  a need to store tiles
using the VE structure or are you looking mainly to be able to
parse/respond VE type urls that use a quadtree value?

regards,

> Thanks,
>   -Steve W

Assefa Yewondwossen