[mapserver-dev] RFC-60: Label enhancement to skip ANGLE FOLLOW labels with overlapping chars

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Aug 26 16:25:56 EDT 2010

Hi Devs,

As part of the FOSS4G 2010 Benchmarking exercise, we have discovered
that MapServer did a poor job at labeling contour lines whereas others
such as GeoServer didn't suffer of the same problem. It turns out that
GeoServer detects and skips those problematic labels, leaving room for
other/better labels to fall in the spot left available by the skipped label.

Alan has been doing some experiments around this problem and we have
come up with a RFC that we would like to discuss. To make a long story
short we are proposing that we do the same as GeoServer and offer an
optional mechanism to detect and skip those labels.

Please have a look at RFC-60 and let us know what you think:

  http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-60.html

The discussions in ticket 3523 may also be of interest:

And finally there is also ticket 2221 discussing more general labeling
enhancements that this RFC does not aim to address:

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/