[mapserver-dev] RFC-60: Label enhancement to skip ANGLE FOLLOW labels with overlapping chars

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Aug 27 04:37:21 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel and Alan,

Thanks for producing this RFC and doing the background tests.  (I
especially like the map image showing the BBoxes of the individual label
characters, which really helps to understand the angle between some
label characters
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/attachment/ticket/3523/mapserver-label-boxes.png).

I have the benefit of sitting beside Andrea from GeoServer right now,
and I have asked him specific details of how GeoServer handles this same
issue.  As I understand, this is how it works for GeoServer:
1) user can modify angle to use between characters with a MAXANGLEDELTA
parameter
(http://docs.geoserver.org/2.0.x/en/user/styling/sld-reference/labeling.html#labeling-max-angle-delta)
2) by default GeoServer uses a hardcoded value of something like 25
(Andrea wasn't sure about exact value at the time) and discards labels
with angles higher than that

So, regarding RFC-60, I support the addition of the MAXOVERLAPANGLE
parameter (I like this name better than GeoServer's, at least I can
understand what the parameter means by the name).

However I disagree with the RFC's statement "The default behavior of the
software if this parameter is not set will remain unchanged, i.e. this
test will be disabled by default and no labels will be skipped.".  I
don't see how any user would ever want a high angle between their label
characters, so let's set a default value (22.5) and discard labels with
higher angles between characters.

Aside: in the case of labelling contours for the benchmarking exercise,
Andrea showed me his config file and he sets a MAXANGLEDELTA of 30.

-jeff