[mapserver-dev] Global "Substitution" RFC

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 3 12:59:25 EST 2010

Dan Little wrote:
> Of course, this time I just wrote an RFC and this probably deserves some
> discussion.  My general idea/hope is to eliminate some of the need for
> people to need templating systems for complex mapfiles.   Or at least make
> the management of extensive mapfiles a little easier.

Duck,

I'm interested in how the substitution mechanism you propose relates to
other substitution mechanisms already in place in MapServer.  I gather there
is a way of passing extra values in the url that can be substituted somehow.
I wonder if there would be some way of tieing into the same syntax.

Were you planning to implement the RFC yourself?  Have you done experiments
to see how hard it would be to parse the SETTING[''] values the way you want?

If you want to proceed, you should assign an RFC number and get the RFC into
the normal RFC repository.