[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 37: AUTO Projection Support

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Feb 22 12:31:27 EST 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm happy with this answer.  If the person puts PROJECTION
> AUTO
> and MapServer just silently treats this as a layer with no projection
> information because there is nothing available from the file, this could
> be very misleading. I'd like to suggest instead that an error be issued
> by MapServer in this situation, suggesting the PROJECTION block be
> commented
> out or manually filled as MapServer is unable to automatically provide
> coordinate system information for the dataset in question.

I agree with this error message suggestion if no projection info is
available.

> Also, we should ensure there is a nicely formatted debug message reporting
> on the projection value substituted for AUTO so that folks who are
> trying to peak under the hood will know what is actually happening.

Yes, we should. I think the OGR implementation already does that.

Devin Blakley wrote:
> To add another level of debugging / information for the user, a message
> could be spit out to the GetCapabilities return data indicating what was
> done for the projection if this case were encountered.

I think the msDebug() stuff would be enough. GetCapabilities output is
info for the users of the OWS service, not for the admins of the service
who should be using logs for that purpose... and users of the service at
the other end of the wire do not and should not care where the
projection info comes from.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/