[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 37: AUTO Projection Support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 22 14:52:44 EST 2010

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Is there a plan to make this work with shapefile that have .prj file
> outside of adding a gdal/ogr dependency?
>
> While a love gdal/ogr, it is heavy in terms a package dependencies,
> (unless something has changed), and often a struggle to add to
> production sites that are not doing imagery.
>
> This should be noted as appropriate. Since it is an opt-in feature I'm
> good either way.

Steve,

It would not be possible (well, not practical anyways) to support
shapefile .prj files without access to the GDAL/OGR OGRSpatialReference
object to translate them.  But if GDAL is available, we could use the fast
shapefile support in mapserver, and GDAL to translate the SRS.

I'm not sure whether Howard was planning to do this or not.