[mapserver-dev] WMS and cookies

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jan 27 09:29:45 EST 2010

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> see below from wms-dev, Mapserver in WMS mode will give cookies
> preference over URL parameters. I've always found this unwanted, so I
> have my own custom patch for it, which I now want to get rid off :-)
>
> Would it be worthwhile changing this in Mapserver? CGI mode can remain
> the same.
>
> Objections? Thoughts?

Bart,

 I agree with you that that overwriting url parameters by cookies  is an
unwanted behavior  for both OGC and CGI. Maybe It should be the other
way around; It would change the current behavior but  I could not find
in MapServer  docs explaining the current behavior so I tend to believe
that It is not used consciously by a lot of users.
What does your patch do?

regards,

> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: *Raj Singh <raj at rajsingh.org <mailto:raj at rajsingh.org>>
>> *Date: *January 26, 2010 3:38:12 PM GMT+01:00
>> *To: *bartvde at osgis.nl <mailto:bartvde at osgis.nl>
>> *Cc: *wms-dev at lists.eogeo.org <mailto:wms-dev at lists.eogeo.org>
>> *Subject: **Re: [wms-dev] WMS and cookies*
>>
>> The spec doesn't say anything about cookies, so they should be
>> ignored by a WMS implementation.
>> ---
>> Raj
>>

>> On Jan 26, at 3:13 AM, bartvde at osgis.nl <mailto:bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> what is the policy of WMS wrt cookies? I could not find anything in
>>> the spec.
>>>
>>> If a WMS receives a cookie param named LAYERS for instance, does it take
>>> precedence over the url parameter? Or should a WMS ignore cookies?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst