[mapserver-dev] GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 7 14:10:34 EDT 2010

(sliding in with my 2 cents)

It's about the user side of the software - GeoServer now includes
viewers, admin tools, GUIs of processing tools...all not included by
MapServer (yet so required for new users).  Add all that to OpenGeo's
strong team and promotion, and we are guaranteed to see more and more
organizations switching to GeoServer.

(throwing salt on the wound: although the rankings were not published,
GeoServer dominated the top 10 FOSS4G2010 abstracts as ranked by the
community)

Clearly we've made our software fast and customizable for power users.
Should our next goal be to make it more user friendly?

-jeff