[mapserver-dev] MapFile generator?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 17 22:36:34 EDT 2010

Mulone wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm trying to set up a mapfile generator to generate a customised mapfile
> for different users in my system. Our system is written in Java/Groovy, so
> it would seem quite natural to me to set up a few classes modelling the
> mapfile content (classes, layers with all the options), and then manipulate
> these objects in my app (e.g. show/hide layers, change styles, scales, etc),
> and then call a simple "genMapfile()" and write everything to a temp file,
> then read by mapserver a few millisecs afterwards.
>
> This looks quite simple to do.
>
> My point is: do you know of any Java/Groovy generator of mapfiles? If not,
> do you think it could be interesting for you if I set up a google-code
> project on this idea? Do you think this is a sensible solution to my
> problem?

Hello,

Regarding mapfile generators, a good place to spend your time would be
getting familiar with Quantum GIS (qgis.org) and using its mapfile
export tool.  The QGIS community is very open and is looking for
contributors/help with that export tool.  You would not need to start
from scratch, and many many users would benefit from your contributions.

This doesn't answer your question, but I feel that it is a more sensible
solution.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna