[mapserver-dev] PostGIS "curvepolygon" support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 8 09:18:27 EST 2010

Astrid Emde wrote:
>>  Curiously could this mean adding to the PostGIS driver a means of
>>  going from curve to shapeObj? As opposed to adding a curve shape
>>  type within MapServer.
>
> Could you please discuss a possible solution and estimate the costs? Who
> would be the contact person concerning this enhancement?
>
> Maybe there are other MapServer users interested in this enhancement and
> would also sponsor the implementation.

Astrid,

If a solution where the curves are converted to an approximating linestring
while being converted from wkb to shapeObj is acceptable it could be done
easily inside the force_to_lines() and force_to_polygons() functions in
mappostgis.c.  I have done this in OGR for many datasources with curves and
could incorporate the same capability in MapServer's postgis driver quite
easily (ie. a couple hours).  I would be willing to do this gratis on
account of the WhereGroup's past support for MapServer, GDAL/OGR and OSGeo
as long as you folks can do final testing.

Of course the ideal is to add arcs as a first class geometry type in
MapServer for more efficient and precise handling but that is a substantially
bigger job.