[mapserver-dev] WFS Output via OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 4 12:30:02 EDT 2010

Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> Apparently the exposure of templates via WFS is still planned for 6.0, see:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3172
>
> The function int msReturnTemplateQuery() in maptemplate.c is a more general
> presentation function for query results. It already handles templates (old
> and new) plus non-text formats (e.g. png). I would think it could call an
> OGR query result writer easily too.

Steve,

I've looked through RFC36, #3172 and the "trunk" documentation but I'm still
pretty confused about what is implemented and exactly how to use it.  I
was unable to find any examples in msautotest of using the new templating
mechanism.  Can you point me to some working examples of it?

Tentatively I'm willing to take on integration of the new templating
mechanism into the WFS GetFeature() implementation while I work on the
OGR output.  Hopefully I can integrate the OGR output directly in
msReturnTemplateQuery(), though I'm not completely convinced yet how
practical that is.

Also, I get the idea from RFC 36 that there was expected to be a "GML driver"
in addition to the template driver.  That does not seem to have occured
though of course most of the GML generation logic is already in mapgml.c.