[mapserver-dev] RFC 62: Support Additional WFS GetFeature Output Formats

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 8 09:31:25 EDT 2010

  Hi Frank,

  Couple of questions that I had reading the RFC:

   - would a user need to define always the OGR outputs in a map file or
does it make sense to have some that are commonly used defined by
default in MapServer (I am thinking of a json output with an
application/json output format)?

   - Just to clarify, would the user needs to add a IMAGEMODE FEATURE in
his output block for an ogr driver or is it implied?

  - there is also the use the format option ATTACHEMENT used for the
template drivers to set the "Content-disposition: attachment", is that
similar to FORMATOPTION "FILENAME..."? If that is the case we should
change the ATTACHEMENT to FILENAME to have consistency.

  - out of curiosity, will you  introduce a zip library like minzip in
this work? I was looking into this for kmz output.

  - Regarding the outstanding issues:
     *  I am not sure I understand the first one "..support the WFS
limit on number of features": wouldn't the query be done prior to
getting to the msReturnTemplate, and thus respecting things line
maxfeatures set on the layer?

    *  re. gml_include_items: are you thinking also of using
gml_exclude_items and aliases? I am not sure I can think of other
mechanisms to get the list of attributes.

   * re strong tying: would the gml_[item_name]_type be enough to do a
valid output (if It is defined), or were you thinking have having the
types in MapServer at read time?

Thanks,

On 07/10/2010 10:11 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have completed a prototype implementation of support for OGR output
> in WFS, including support for RFC 36 templates as an output mechanism.
> I have also prepared a preliminary RFC for the new capabilities which
> I'd like to float for discussion before calling for a vote:
>
>   http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-62.html
>
> I'd like to finish work on the RFC and call for a vote by Monday.
>
> Best regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: yassefa at dmsolutions.ca