[mapserver-dev] RFC 62: Support Additional WFS GetFeature OutputFormats

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 12 11:31:39 EDT 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:

>>> I have also prepared a preliminary RFC for the new
>>> capabilities which I'd like to float for discussion before
>>> calling for a vote:
>>>
>>>     http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-62.html
>>>
>>> I'd like to finish work on the RFC and call for a vote by Monday.
>
> +1
>
> My only question is to how users find the correct names of drivers to
> enter in the 'wfs_formats' metadata, is it the "Code" values at
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html ?  Just making sure.

Jeff,

The output formats are declared this say:

OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME "CSV"
   DRIVER "OGR/CSV"
   MIMETYPE "text/csv"
   FORMATOPTION "LCO:GEOMETRY=AS_WKT"
   FORMATOPTION "STORAGE=filesystem"
   FORMATOPTION "FORM=simple"
   FORMATOPTION "FILENAME=result.csv"
END

The argument to the "DRIVER" keyword consists of "OGR/" followed by
a driver name from the "Code" column of the formats list you mention
above.  The same list can be seen by running "ogrinfo --formats" or
similar methods.

Note I haven't mentioned anything about a wfs_formats metadata item.
Were you thinking this would list a set of formats that would be
permitted for WFS GetFeature()?  As currently specified I think WFS
GetFeature would support any templates defined via OUTPUTFORMAT,
the traditional GML2 and GML3 values and any OGR OUTPUTFORMATs defined
in the map file.  In fact, I can see that it would be quite helpful
to restrict the set of output formats supported by WFS for particular
layers.  So despite the start of voting, I'm going to update the RFC to:

- Add a "wfs_formats" metadata item to limit the permitted values.  If not
   present only the traditional GML2/GML3 values will be allowed.
- I also realize I neglected to mention that the GetCapabilities request
   will likely need to indicate the possible output format values.

If anyone has a concern about these I can restart the voting but I'm
hoping these are fairly minor and helpful additions.