[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 61: Enhance MapServer Feature Style Support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Sep 15 13:51:51 EDT 2010

On 9/11/2010 12:16 PM, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> I would require an implementation to extend the current STYLEITEM option
> to be used with further drivers in addition to OGR driver. I recall we
> have already been discussed this topic with the conclusion that this
> kind of implementation would require quite a big effort, but I expect
> the initial approach (based on the OGR style) could be implemented
> fairly easily. For this reason I've created MS RFC 61 describing the
> concept to be done, though the proposed changes haven't yet been
> implemented by me. I'd anyway be in favour of adding such solution (or a
> reasonable variant) to be available in the next release version (ie. MS
> 6.0)
>
> The RFC can be found at:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/docs/en/development/rfc/ms-rfc-61.txt

Tamas,

I have not used OGR styles or SLD styles before so it is hard to comment
on that specifically. There has also been discussions of implementing
named styles that could then be referenced, but I'm not sure that went
very far.

Your proposal is very straight forward and seems to make sense by
itself. I am wondering if it is time to have a discussion about how we
want to handle styles in general with respect to meeting the various
needs. I think better support for libraries or a collection of styles is
needed. I think having some strategy or overall plan in this regard will
make it easier us, but then someone needs to have a vision for how this
might work :)

Thoughts?
   -Steve W