[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 61: Enhance MapServer Feature Style Support

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:53:05 EDT 2010

2010/9/15 Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com>

> I have not used OGR styles or SLD styles before so it is hard to comment on
> that specifically. There has also been discussions of implementing named
> styles that could then be referenced, but I'm not sure that went very far.
>
> Your proposal is very straight forward and seems to make sense by itself. I
> am wondering if it is time to have a discussion about how we want to handle
> styles in general with respect to meeting the various needs. I think better
> support for libraries or a collection of styles is needed. I think having
> some strategy or overall plan in this regard will make it easier us, but
> then someone needs to have a vision for how this might work :)

Steve,

As far as I remember we've already discussed about this topic in this list.
I don't remember about the straight conclusion of the discussion but it
seemed to me we was quite uncertain about whether we should commit ourself
to a single style representation or not. I would vote on implementing all of
the reasonable formats in parallel, but till that time implement at least
one. With that, we could move a bit further on the concept of the STYLEITEM,
which is now a privilege of the OGR driver solely.

Best regards,

Tamas