[mapserver-dev] Proposal to add built-in OpenLayers map viewer

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Sep 24 15:09:12 EDT 2010

All,

So what would be the expected additional capabilities of using mode=openlayers over using mode=map?  (Especially with regard to only viewing a single layer, TBW, I see this MODE= option as primarily a way to compare more than one layer to others)  The many layers is what I'm interested in seeing as a test tool.  mode=map already builds a composite map.

bobb

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> The beauty part of mode=openlayers is that mapserver doesn't even need
> to ship code with it, it can just emit an HTML page that references
> openlayers.org.

Exactly.

> Any framework that requires server-side components and
> isn't cloud-hosted already is kind of out-of-luck.

A framework that already comes with some server-side dependencies could
presumably ship with a generic MapServer template that could already be
used today as a generic viewer with mode=browse... no special mode
required in this case I don't think.

> There could also be
> a mode=googlemaps in combination with the tile mode or a mode=bingmaps

My comment about keeping this __simple__ was exactly to prevent a
proliferation of mode=this, mode=that, etc...

The initial need is to offer the users a __simple__ mechanism top\
preview a mapfile contents, not to link or promote any client framework
in particular. The choice of OpenLayers as the default is obvious in my
mind for a number of reasons, the main ones being outlined by Paul
above) but I respect the fact that others may have differing opinions.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/