[mapserver-dev] Proposal to add built-in OpenLayers map viewer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Sep 24 15:21:48 EDT 2010

Bob Basques wrote:

> So what would be the expected additional capabilities of using
> mode=openlayers over using mode=map?  (Especially with regard to only
> viewing a single layer, TBW, I see this MODE= option as primarily a way
> to compare more than one layer to others)  The many layers is what I'm
> interested in seeing as a test tool.  mode=map already builds a
> composite map.

At the moment, mode=map returns you a static image, you cannot zoom or
navigate it easily... this is the problem we want to solve.

The goal of mode=openlayers would simply be to provide an easy way to
preview a mapfile with a set of selected layers, zoom in and out and
navigate... more or less something like the following openlayers
example, but without any overlays, so even simpler:

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/example.html

And if you "View Source" you'll see it's only a couple of lines to
generate... very lightweight, since most of the code comes from
openlayers.org.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/