[mapserver-dev] Proposal to add built-in OpenLayers map viewer

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:46:29 EDT 2010

Daniel,

Adding a viewer with zoom and pan capabilities is a good idea which is
better then having a single image in some cases. I foresee a reasonable Web
administration interface to mapserver could also be established by such
additions which would be a requirement too.
However embedding code from a separate project seems to be a hassle, though
the technical solution hasn't yet been mentioned in the ticket.

I would be in favour of doing either:

1. Create a simple  (mapserver specific) .js to provide the required
functionality (which could be extended later with further options)
2. Provide a (pluggable) interface for use by the potential viewers in
mapserver, and  create a separate support package for at least one (like
openlayers for instance) and include the external code to this package.

(Just to put my 2 cents in)

Best regards,

Tamas