[mapserver-dev] Proposal to add built-in OpenLayers map viewer

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 27 14:34:58 EDT 2010

On 9/27/2010 2:27 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Bob Basques wrote:
>>
>> I don't see the TEMPLATE route as being any more (or less) of a problem
>> in adding as a method to achieve the desired results, and it leaves a
>> measure of flexibility behind as well. I mean if you need a MAPFILE
>> anyway, what's the difference in adding a TEMPLATE for use as well.
>>

> I'm sorry but I don't get it... what is "the template route"... and what
> does it allow you to do that you cannot already do today with MapServer
> 5.6.x?

Daniel,

I think Bob is suggesting something loser to what Steve L suggested. in
you subroutine, open a file and spit that out instead of hardcoding the
html and JS.

Bob,

To Daniels point, this is feature creep.

1. Open a file: where is the file? requires more code to identify it,
configure it, administer it, etc

2. Does it have substitution parameters? requires more code, and magic
strings, and a security review, etc

3. Requires a lot more doc to explain it.

Sure it is doable! it is not rocket science, but it is not trivial and
someone has to code it, doc, test it, etc.

-Steve W