[mapserver-dev] Undocumented changes in PHP MapScript

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 24 00:06:02 EDT 2011

Hello List,

I have just given the 6.0 beta 7 a try, and overall the migration guide made
most changes that affected my application very easy to deal with, and from my
tests MapServer and PHP MapScript are working as expected.  I'm looking
forward to the final release.

I'm just wondering if there are any additional changes to PHP MapScript
library that are known, but not yet documented in the migration guide.  I seem
to have encountered at least one change that is not covered, which tripped me
up briefly.  As the migration guide notes:

> Object properties can be set like all other php object. ie.
> myObj->myProperty = 10;
>
> NOTE: The set/setProperty methods are still available.

However, it seems that the pointObj->setXY() method is no longer present.
This was easily substituted by directly setting the x/y properties (e.g.,
$oPoint->x = $x).  I recognize this particular issue is fairly trivial, but
since this change isn't covered in the guide.  I'm wondering if there might be
other differences.  There's no mention of any methods other than 'free' being
removed from the pointObj class.  In my case, the PHP code did not fail
gracefully when it setXY method, and I had to hunt for a bit to find where in
the code that the error was happening.  In other cases, using removed methods
produced useful error messages...so maybe something else has gone wrong
specifically with the setXY method.

Best regards,
Mike