[mapserver-dev] Possible to use PostGIS as a TILEINDEX to shapefiles?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Apr 28 11:51:27 EDT 2011

I meant use CONNECTIONTYPE OGR for both the tileindex (OGR pointing to
your postgis tileindex table) and the shapefiles (connectiontype OGR to
read the shapefiles). This would not go through mapshape.c but instead
mapogr.cpp:

http://mapserver.org/input/vector/ogr.html#tileindex-with-ogr

On 11-04-28 10:34 AM, Brent Fraser wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Using OGR results in tlp->connectiontype==MS_OGR and fails as well.
>
> The main problem (I think) is that the code after line 1901 in
> mapshape.c does a call to msDBFGetItemIndex in preparation for getting
> the value stored in the "location" column. It needs to be replaced with
> the code from mapraster.c, line 468:
>
> /* get the tileitem index */
> for(i=0; i<tlp->numitems; i++) {
> if(strcasecmp(tlp->items[i], layer->tileitem) == 0) {
> tileitemindex = i;
> break;
> }
> }
>
> and there could be a few other changes as well. I'll have to do some
> hacking...
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>

> On 4/27/2011 9:02 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Unfortunately too late for 6.0 as you had already figured out. However
>> you could use OGR connections for your PostGIS tileindex and to read
>> your shapefiles with the current version.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> On 11-04-27 08:42 PM, Brent Fraser wrote:
>>> I've used a PostGIS layer as a TILEINDEX to raster files, but it doesn't
>>> seem to work for pointing to shapefiles.
>>>
>>> And looking at mapshape.c at line 1901 it checks:
>>>
>>> tlp = (GET_LAYER(layer->map, tSHP->tilelayerindex));
>>>
>>> if(tlp->connectiontype != MS_SHAPEFILE) {
>>> msSetError(MS_SDEERR, "Tileindex layer must be a shapefile.",
>>> "msTiledSHPOpenFile()");
>>> return(MS_FAILURE);
>>> }
>>>

>>> mapraster.c has some logic around line 410 that seems more generic.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be possible to fix this for 6.0, or is it too late
>>> now that rc1 is out?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/