[mapserver-dev] RFC81: offset labels with leader lines

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH Michael.Smith at usace.army.mil
Fri Dec 16 14:08:20 EST 2011

Response inline

On 12/16/11  1:58 PM, "thomas bonfort" <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 19:43, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
><Michael.Smith at usace.army.mil> wrote:
>> Thomas,
>>
>> Would you want to add a LEADERPOSITION argument? The default being AUTO
>> but then you could specify UR or the other position arguments and get
>>the
>> leaders all following the same orientation.
>
>Is there a compelling reason to limit these orientations, is it for
>consistency? Strictly limiting the position would remove all the test
>positions labelled "2" on the RFC figures, in the second and
>subsequent iterations. Anyhow, adding this kind of restriction would
>be possible with minimal changes in a second phase should the need
>come up.

There is. Often in maps that we produce, usually hydrographic ones, we'll
want leader labels on one side (right) showing scenario 1 and labels on
the left side showing scenario 2, for example. Most of the cases I can
imagine for limiting leaders to one location are primarily labeling linear
features.

>> Another option might be a
>> LEADERFORCE true/false option to force LEADERS even when not absolutely
>> necessary (for consistency).
>
>do you mean that a leader line should also be drawn when there is no
>need for a leader and the label is in a position other than CC, or
>that all labels should directly go into the leader phase without first
>trying around the original position ?

The second was what I had in mind, keeping all the labels as type leader
and going right to drawing that way even when not strictly needed.