[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 68: Support for combining features from multiple layers (Call for discussion)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:38:12 EST 2011

2011/2/15 Lime, Steve D (DNR) <Steve.Lime at state.mn.us>

> I see value in both but kinda think they should be handled with separate
> RFCs since you don’t need one for the
>
> other and neither problem is trivial.

Steve,

I can accept to create separate RFCs (however I require them both in my
project to succeed ;-)

> At least on the clustering side I don’t think that should be handled as a
> connection type. Rather I’d favor a new
>
> CLUSTER block where you’d set the various tolerance and scale values. That
> way you could add clustering to a
>
> point layer without much effort. I think it needs to be that simple.

I don't see the difference with regards to the data processing. For the
setting of the parameters via a CLUSTER block instead of some PROCESSING
option doesn't seem to differ significantly. But if you want to include this
algorithm somewhere into the MapServer core that would be another case.

Best regards,

Tamas