[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 68: Support for combining features from multiple layers (Call for discussion)

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Tue Feb 15 12:10:42 EST 2011

I’ve not poured through all the subsequent discussion yet but a quick read of RFC 68 has me thinking there
are two distinct problems being addressed here:

1)      Rendering multiple layers with one layer definition.

2)      Clustering.

I see value in both but kinda think they should be handled with separate RFCs since you don’t need one for the
other and neither problem is trivial.

At least on the clustering side I don’t think that should be handled as a connection type. Rather I’d favor a new
CLUSTER block where you’d set the various tolerance and scale values. That way you could add clustering to a
point layer without much effort. I think it needs to be that simple.

Steve