[mapserver-dev] RFC 66 - Better handling of temporary files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 14 16:23:32 EST 2011

On 11-01-14 07:46 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Jeff,
> I don't like TEMPPATH because it should not be necessary for a user to
> have to configure it. On unix, there is a system function that will
> guarantee to create you a temp file without having to make the
> assumption it will be in /tmp, and I imagine it could be possible to
> implement something similar for windows if it doesn't exist.
> Let's not burden our users with setting a configuration variable for
> something that is system related and should be taken care of
> transparently.

Thomas,

I like the idea of being able to control where my MapServer temp
files are created - either so I can keep them separate from system
temporary files, or so I can control what drive they are on (ie.
ram drive, extra physical drive).  But it might be nice if the
*fallback* when it isn't set is to do the normal system behavior.