[mapserver-dev] Development of new functions "combine symbols" and "displace symbols"

Olaf Knopp olaf.knopp at wheregroup.com
Mon Jan 24 09:34:37 EST 2011

  Hello everybody,

for a project we need some software development to be done. We think
these new features will become more important to provide modern and
elegant maps and therefore would be a great add-on for MapServer. As
working titles we call these functions "combine symbols" and "displace
symbols".
Here follows a rough concept for the functions.

1. Combine symbols
This function combines symbols of the same layer (or class) to one
symbol containing the number of combined symbols if viewed in a certain
scale.
For this you have to mark a layer/class e.g. by "COMBINESYMBOLS TRUE",
give a distance between the symbols (COMBINEDISTANCE xy, COMBINEUNITS
…), perhaps a MAXCOUNT etc. You will also have to define a symbol and
the label for the combination. It would be best no to lose the
FeatureInfo and get a list of templates after clicking on the combined
symbol. You will find a nice example of combined symbols here:
http://www.verbeterdebuurt.nl/ (zoom to the Netherlands).
By configuring a zoom range (e.g. COMBINEMAXSCALEDENOM,
COMBINEMINSCALEDENOM) you define in which scales the symbols should be
combined.

2. Displace Symbols
This function should relocate symbols of objects with same or similar
coordinates so they don't conceal each other or overlap.
For this you have to mark the mapfile e.g. by "DISPLACESYMBOLS YES" and
give a distance between symbols that should be displaced
(DISPLACEDISTANCE xy, DISPLACEUNITS …). Then you have to configure every
layer similar to a label by giving a priority, a displace distance and
an displace angle.
You will also have to give a zoom range similar to the combine function
described above. FeatureInfo should still work by clicking on the moved
symbols.

Who can develop this functions until the end of February? Is there
anybody else interested in these functions?
Please conctact us to discuss further details and to calculate a proposal.

Greetings
Olaf Knopp

Die WhereGroup ist umgezogen ...

Seit dem 01.01.2011 lautet unsere neue Adresse:

WhereGroup GmbH&  Co. KG
Eifelstraße 7
53119 Bonn

Alle Telefonnummern und eMail-Adressen