[mapserver-dev] Development of new functions "combine symbols" and "displace symbols"

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:12:17 EST 2011

Hi Olaf,

The idea looks compelling to me, however I would have some further questions
before trying to propose a reasonable approach to this feature:

Combine Symbols:
1. What would be the position of the combined feature? Would this be one of
the features have been combined or some other location (like the centroid of
the features)?
2. What did you mean by 'not to lose the FeatureInfo'? Does it mean that the
invidual features should be retrieved from a 'query by point option' and not
the combined feature?
3. Would this option affect only the point layers (with marker symbols) or
some other types as well? (like annotations)

Displace Symbols:
1. How the position of the relocated symbols should be calculated? Would
this be a constant vector assigned to each layer/class?
2. What should be happened when a relocated symbols would overlap with some
other symbols because of the relocation?
3. Shouldn't the relocation be displayed somehow? (ie. by using a line or
arrow along with the symbol)
4. What type of layers would be affected? (points only?)

Assuming the distance threshold is specified in screen coordinates, what
would be the possible values of COMBINEUNITS and DISPLACEUNITS?

Best regards,

Tamas