[mapserver-dev] MapServer 6.0.0-beta2 release

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Wed Mar 23 06:19:08 EDT 2011

On 3/22/2011 4:39 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Håvard,
>
> How do you have apache configured.
>     apache2-mpm-prefork?
>     fastcgi or cgi?

I use the default Ubuntu Apache2 distribution.
cgi, not fastcgi.

 > apache2ctl -V
Server version: Apache/2.2.9 (Debian)
Server built:   Dec 11 2010 21:34:00
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:15
Server loaded:  APR 1.2.12, APR-Util 1.2.12
Compiled using: APR 1.2.12, APR-Util 1.2.12
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
   threaded:     no
     forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
  -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
  -D HTTPD_ROOT=""
  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/lib/apache2/suexec"
  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/apache2.pid"
  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
  -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/apache2/accept.lock"
  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/mime.types"
  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/apache2.conf"

 > apache2ctl -l
Compiled in modules:
   core.c
   mod_log_config.c
   mod_logio.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c
   mod_so.c

> apache2ctl -M
Loaded Modules:
  core_module (static)
  log_config_module (static)
  logio_module (static)
  mpm_prefork_module (static)
  http_module (static)
  so_module (static)
  alias_module (shared)
  auth_basic_module (shared)
  authn_file_module (shared)
  authz_default_module (shared)
  authz_groupfile_module (shared)
  authz_host_module (shared)
  authz_user_module (shared)
  autoindex_module (shared)
  cgi_module (shared)
  dir_module (shared)
  env_module (shared)
  jk_module (shared)
  mime_module (shared)
  negotiation_module (shared)
  php5_module (shared)
  proxy_module (shared)
  rewrite_module (shared)
  setenvif_module (shared)
  status_module (shared)
  userdir_module (shared)
Syntax OK

> What does mapserv -v report?

MapServer version 6.0.0-beta2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

> Can you reproduce this crash using shp2img?

No, I have not been able to produce a crash using shp2img.

Håvard

> [...]
>> Apache "Internal Server Error". If I reload a map
>> request a number of times, normally more than half
>> of the requests result in an Apache "Internal Server
>> Error".
>> The Apache error logs only lists: "Premature end of
>> script headers: mapserver-6beta"
>>
>> The "same" (except I have had to change some of the
>> rendering things) map file has never caused a crash
>> on 5.6.6.
>>
>> I am on 64 bit Debian Lenny (2.6.26-2-amd64), with
>> Apache/2.2.9 (Debian). PostgreSQL version 8.3.5,
>> PostGIS version 1.4.1. Configuration and compilation
>> of Mapserver went fine.
>> I have run with DEBUG ON, but can't find anything in the
>> logs that I can relate to the crashes.
>> The map file I use is reasonably complex, so it will
>> probably be difficult to isolate the cause of the
>> problem. A local PostgreSQL/PostGIS instance is the source
>> of all the data, both point (26 classes), line (37 classes)
>> and area (18 classes) symbols are rendered.
>> The crashes continue to occur even if I remove the points,
>> the lines or the areas. If I remove all the layers, I do
>> not experience crashes.
>> Even with very few objects rendered the crashes occur
>> frequently.
>>
>> Håvard Tveite
>>

>> On 3/18/2011 8:48 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>>> Thanks to the hard work from everyone during the Montreal Code Sprint
>>> this week (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Montreal_Code_Sprint_2011), the
>>> MapServer Team is pleased to announce the release of MapServer
>>> 6.0.0-beta2. This is the latest beta on our way to a final 6.0 release,
>>> and includes a large number of fixes made during the Montreal Code
>>> Sprint.
>>>
>>> The 6.0 release introduces important changes in key components of the
>>> MapServer core (rendering, query and expressions), and for this reason
>>> we count on you, MapServer power users, to help test the release in your
>>> respective environments and provide feedback (through the users list or
>>> Trac tickets).
>>>
>>> This is the second of four planned beta releases and if all goes well a
>>> final release should occur around the end of April. The full release
>>> plan which also includes the list of new features and changes in this
>>> release is available at:
>>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/development/release/release-plan-6.0.html
>>>
>>> The list of fixes since beta1 is attached at the end of this message.
>>> For a complete list see the HISTORY.TXT file at:
>>>

>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/tags/rel-6-0-0-beta2/mapserver/HISTORY.TXT
>>>

>>> We have started working on a 5.6 ->  6.0 migration guide. This document
>>> contains important notes on backwards incompatibilities or other changes
>>> required when upgrading to 6.0. It is not complete yet but we strongly
>>> recommend that you review the latest version online at:
>>>
>>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/MIGRATION_GUIDE.html
>>>
>>> The source for this release can be downloaded at:

>>> or
>>> http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/mapserver-6.0.0-beta2.tar.gz
>>>
>>> The binary distributions listed in the download page should be updated
>>> with binaries for the new beta release in the next day or so.
>>>
>>> Once again we need your help to ensure a high quality product, so please
>>> help out by testing your applications with this new code base.
>>>
>>> Thanks! - The MapServer Team
>>>

>>> Version 6.0.0-beta2 (2011-03-18)
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> - correct scaling of symbol GAP and PATTERN (#3752)
>>>
>>> - remove references to SWF/MING
>>>
>>> - CGI runtime substitution requires a validation pattern (was optional
>>> before) (#3522)
>>>
>>> - add a default png8 outputformat that uses AGG/PNG with quantization
>>>
>>> - change MS_INIT_COLOR to take alpha as a parameter
>>>
>>> - stop using style->opacity in rendering code, use alpha from colorObjs.
>>>
>>> - Fixed big Oracle memory leak when rendering in KML (#3719)
>>>
>>> - avoid linking in postgres dependencies unnecessarily (#3708)
>>>
>>> - don't initialize outputformats until they are selected
>>>
>>> - use "seamless" creation of tiles for polygon fills with vector symbols
>>>
>>> - Ability to escape single/double quotes inside a string (#3706)
>>>
>>> - Globally replace msCaseFindSubstring with strcasestr (#3255)
>>>
>>> - support GROUP layers in shp2img (#3746)
>>>
>>> - Honour MAXSIZE for WCS 2.0 responses (#3204).
>>>
>>> - fallback to ows_title for WCS ows:Title of CoverageDescription (#3528)
>>>
>>> - Added msIO_stripStdoutBufferContentHeaders() to strip off all
>>> Content-* headers from a buffer (#3673, #3665).
>>>
>>> - Added raster classification support for STYLE level OPACITY.
>>>
>>> - Allow attribute references, that is [itemname], within a TEXT string
>>> (#3736)
>>>
>>> - Fixed segmentation fault when parsing invalid extent arguments in
>>> shp2img (#3734)
>>>
>>> - Make "openlayers mode" work even without OWS support (#3732)
>>>
>>> - Add a static table to define the axis order for soem epsg codes (#3582)
>>>
>>> - Add possibility to use KML_NAME_ITEM (#3728)
>>>
>>> - Fixed mapfile parsing error when a label angle referenced an attribute
>>> (e.g. ANGLE [angle]) #3727
>>>
>>> - Removed executable flag on some source files (#3726)
>>>
>>> - Fixed SQL Spatial to be able to use UniqueIdentifier field as unique
>>> key (#3722)
>>>
>>> - Fix PHP Windows build (#3714)
>>>
>>> - Fixed --with-opengl build issue: Look for OpenGL libs under
>>> /usr/lib64 as
>>> well (#3724)

Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB
Drøbakveien 31, POBox 5003, N-1432 Ås, NORWAY
Phone: +47 64965483 Fax: +47 64965401 http://www.umb.no/imt/