[mapserver-dev] Expanding the MapServer Project

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 24 14:15:35 EDT 2011

+1 with bring both these under the mapserver umbrella

mod_geocache is a really good fit because this functionality was planned
to be embedded in 6.0, but Thomas' implementation is much more generic
because it works without alteration of mapserver and it can work with
many other products adding value to the whole OSGEO landscape.

TinyOWS is an excellent tool, that has languished in my opinion because
it is very small and not well known or supported.

I think the fit with mapserver is particularly good because these are
server side components focused in the same ecosystem of serving GIS data
in a variety of formats and supporting OGC standards.

I believe these also both have compatible licensing terms or hopefully
they can be re-license under the same terms as mapserver.

I would like to see these two move forward if all parties are willing
but hold off on considering more until with figure out how well this
works. As you mention there is a lot to be done.

-Steve W