[mapserver-dev] Expanding the MapServer Project

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 25 15:06:51 EDT 2011

I am very supportive of these 2 technologies being part of the MapServer
project.  The fact that they will all be able to share the same
configuration file is really a nice feature.
They definitely fit as part of a common trend of needs that we see.

I am also hoping that other complementary tools (such as map file
editors, installers ...) would be considered in the future  as being
able to be part of the MapServer project if that make sense for both
projects.

On 25/03/2011 1:11 PM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> Well stated as usual... I agree with your thoughts on infrastructure structure. IMHO we
> don't want the components to be bound to one another from a release standpoint. It's
> not practical (it took 18 months to get 6.0 out) and might hinder adoption. We might
> consider some sort of integrated package though that is made up of the production
> versions of each piece- a broader ms4w if you will.
>
> Could/should we develop criteria for considering these types mergers in the future? The
> ones mentioned now are so because they are: complement MapServer, written in C/C++, are
> server-based, etc...
>
> Steve

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst