[mapserver-dev] Re: ms rfc 71: mod-geocache integration

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 25 00:15:13 EDT 2011

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been traveling and not had access.

I think the one of the high value features of mod_geocache, is the fact
that it is easy to setup and works with any WMS source providers.
Another high value feature is that this uses proxy pattern which makes
it high useful and can stand on its own.

So, I concerned about what value add we get from say having it read a
mapserver mapfile versus a mod_geocache config file. If I'm so
non-mapserver WMS source to work with mod_geocache, why would I want to
create a mapserver mapfile?

In addition, I see publishing tiles more as an end point that is
relatively static so I would not think that the mapfile would be
changing dramatically so the tighter integration of directly reading the
mapfile seems to be a limited value, but maybe this is just a factor of
my normal use cases and other might have differing needs.

I think there is good value in integrating the governance of
mod_geocache, and possibly optionally allowing the mod_geocache config
file parser being able to reference a mapfile to get its information,
but it should not be required for projects if they want to use mod_geocache.

You and I had discussed adding security in the past and after thinking
about this some more, I have this idea stuck in my head that we should
implement this via something like a cascading proxy servers so we can
keep each proxy clean and focused. So something like:

WMS request--->[ACL security proxy]---->[mode_geocache]--->[WMS server]

This same model could be adapted to tinyows if the ACL security proxy
was extended to parse and validate WFS-T requests. Maybe the GeoPrisma
team has more input on the security side of things.

-Steve W