[mapserver-dev] Re: ms rfc 71: mod-geocache integration

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:25:01 EDT 2011

Steve,

Based on the recent evolutions concerning proxying that were added to
mod-geocache, I was thinking along the same lines you were.

Sharing the mapserver mapfile as a configuration file had the primary
advantage that mod-geocache had access to the same metadata
information for generating the WMS getcapabilities response. With the
proxying support now available, I'm more and more inclined to not let
mod-geocache create the capabilities response, and let it proxy it to
mapserver: mod-geocache would do what it does best, i.e. just serve
tiles, not become a full wms server on its own.

This would have the primary advantages of not having to maintain
capabilities creation in mod-geocache, and keep it available as a tile
server in front of non-mapserver sources.

I see some drawbacks with the solution however:

- tiles are seen as a single WMS layer for mod-geocache, but can be
mapped to multiple WMS layers in mapserver (eg: mod-geocache layer
"mytileset" corresponds to mapserver layers
"basemap,roads,buildings"). This could be overcome if the layers in
the mapfile are configured with a GROUP that corresponds to the
tileset name, i.e. GROUP mytileset. Another rather hacky solution
would be to call the mod-geocache layer "basemap,roads,buidlings".

- The capabilities created by mapserver and proxied by mod-geocache
are not aware that there is a cache in front of the service. As such
the onlineresources would probably be wrong, and there would not be
the WMS-C vendorcapabilities added advertising the cached layers. With
some further development effort, mod-geocache could be extended to
parse the returned xml capabilities to correct the onlineresources and
add the wms-c blurb. I'm personally not a very big fan of WMS-C as it
is missing some major functionality to make it usefull in all but the
trivial cases (i.e. no support for multiple grids/srs per layer, and
no support for dimensions)

regards,

thomas