[mapserver-dev] Improved support for (styled) dashed lines in Mapserver - RFC?

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Tue Oct 25 03:35:36 EDT 2011

Dear Mapserver developers,

An overwhelming silence...  Since I have a positive attitude to
life, I assume that the silence means that this is not
controversial at all, and that everyone agrees that this would
be a valuable addition to the Mapserver rendering capabilities.
:-)

For those that have not read the document (and need to be
convinced):
The suggested new parameter "INITIALGAP" is present in the SLD
specification!
Current status is that it is not possible to render all SLD line
patterns using map file parameters.

Mapserver needs this capability.  An alternative to introducing
"INITIALGAP" might be to make GEOMTRANSFORM more capable (trimming
could be an option for lines), but I think that "INITIALGAP" is so
useful that it is worth to introduce a new parameter for it.
"INITIALGAP" would also be applicable to area fill patterns (while
I think this is problematic with GEOMTRANSFORM).

Håvard