[mapserver-dev] WCS 2.0 support and specification compliance

Fabian Schindler fabian.schindler at eox.at
Fri Aug 17 05:49:17 PDT 2012

Hi Andrea,

You are right, in the current msautotest suite there are several tests
and examples that are not (yet) standardized. The "problem" with the
current version of WCS is that it follows a core+extensions approach,
which is not a problem by itself, it just makes a useful implementation
quite difficult. To provide features for WCS 2.0 that are also available
for older versions of the standard we simply had to make educated
guesses on what is likely to be standardized in future extensions. For
example the "formats" extension was not available at all when I
implemented it in MapServer, but when the standard was finished, only
small changes had to be applied to be conformant to the extension.

In the current documentation you'll find a note [1] for what I just
explained.

In the specific example of the "crs" parameter in the "wcs:Dimension"
element, I think you have stumbled upon an inconsitency and the test
input/documentation needs to be updated.

Currently the "scaling" extension for WCS 2.0 is under discussion at the
OGC WCS standards working group, and, once it is standardized, the
"Size" and "Resolution" will likely have to be adjusted. (With the
current state of the document, they will be replaced by the
"scaleFactor", "scaleAxes" and "scaleDomain" parameters). I think the
standard document is not publicly available, only in the OGC internal
system.

Thank you for the hint of putting the parameters into the
"wcs:Extension" element. This was a recent change in the corrigendum
that may not have been taken into account in the implementation.

Regards,
Fabian

[1]
http://mapserver.org/ogc/wcs_server.html#to-do-items-and-known-limitations