[mapserver-dev] Updated Google Maps API and 3D

Fabian Schindler fabian.schindler at eox.at
Tue Dec 4 01:10:30 PST 2012

Steve,

In the past months I experimented a lot with 2.5D maps and virtual
globes. Basically it boiled down to applying textures (from a WMS
service) to a client generated mesh (the data comes either from a WCS or
WMS). This approach is called a thick client. The JavaScript library I
used was GlobWeb [1] (Demo: [2]), but there are others aswell (I also
looked into Cesium [3]). On the server side, nothing needs to be
changed, as the tile requests are quite the same as for a traditional
flat map. There is no apparent need to introduce camera Metadata for
WMS/WCS, and I guess OpenLayers 3 will work similarly.

For an upcoming project we also had a chance look in the W3DS standard
draft [4]. It is closely related to WMS with its protocol and parameters
and serves "real" 3D objects (meshes) with its textures. The default
exchange format is X3D [5], though others are possible aswell. We would
very much appreciate this feature in MapServer, as we already rely on
MapServer for raster data. We would also be able to contribute if required.

Regards,
Fabian

[1] https://github.com/TPZF/GlobWeb
[2] http://demonstrator.telespazio.com/GlobWeb/