[mapserver-dev] Scale Dependent Token Replacements: to mapscript ornot to mapscript

Worth Lutz wal3 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 14 07:26:06 PST 2012

I admit I quickly sent the previous email without much thought. I mostly use
mapscript and have code which get its direction from the mapfile.

Here is an example, which again is a quick thought,

Have a mapscript program fed a mapfile as input.

A particular layer (named LayerX) uses the scaletokens to choose an
appropriate shapefile.

Two different mapfiles have "LayerX" but the scale breakdown is different in
the two mapfiles.

The mapscript needs to know the scale breakdown to do something. I have no
idea what. :-)

The mapscript code retrieves the scaletoken information and does its
processing.

Again this is a contrived idea based on some of my mapscript coding from the
past.  The scaletoken information could be put into meta data but why have
it twice?

I'm not asking for this to be done at this time, only playing "devil's
advocate" to get the thought in someone else's head.  Reading your email put
this idea in mine and I thought I should share it.  :-)

Worth

  _____